October 27, 2012

Sepia Saturday #149: The "Lowp"

(The Lowp  Click image to enlarge.)

1991: Scotland

It was October, and I was 30 years old.  I was returning to the U.K. to visit my dear friends, Angela, in Glasgow, and Jen, in the south of England.

Sitting on the plane at the Toronto airport, I was waiting to see who I would get stuck seated beside.  I dreaded some creepy man, or worse, an annoying kid who would spend the next six hours pestering me when all I wanted was a nap.

So, I'm sitting there, in my track-pants, with my horn-rimmed glasses on - schlepping for comfort, when lo and behold, a vision of beauty comes through the doorway at the front of the plane, and he's coming towards me!  

I'm thinking: No way, is he going to stop here; he's just going to keep on to the back of the plane, but NO, he DOES stop, and he asks me (with this gorgeous Scots accent) "Would ye mind if I sat next to you?"

Would I MIND? 

Well, let's just say that six hours felt more like two.  I'll call him "Mr.Scot". He was 9 years my junior, but we got on like a house on fire!  He had been on a student exchange in London, Ontario and was returning home to do a stint in the British Army.  I was smitten and didn't want that flight to end!

After landing at Prestwick Airport, Mr. Scot handed me his phone number and told me to call when I came back up before flying home (I was expecting to be back in the Glasgow area for about three days).

I had a wonderful holiday with my friends, both north and south, but in the back of my mind, I wondered if I would really connect with Mr. Scot again.

I rang him up from Jen's house in Brockenhurst, and I remember her red phone reminded me of the Bat-phone in Commisioner Gordon's office on the Batman T.V. show.  And the ring at the other end of the line was reminiscent of that too - a double pulsing tone, nothing like what we had back in Canada.

Mr. Scot's brother answered the phone, but it was only seconds before he was on the line, offering to meet me at the bus station in Glasgow when I arrived.  I was palpably excited.

The next couple of days are almost a blur of activity and fairy-tale romance.  I got to climb the hills outside of Loch Lomond, I rode an All Terrain Vehicle through a sheep field, and I swam in the "lowp". "Lowp" means "leap" in Scots Gaelic, but at the time, I thought it was the word for a pool of water.  No matter, it was a bathing experience I will never forget.  Nor will I ever forget Mr. Scot.
A drive along the winding roads outside Glasgow, a farmhouse, Chinese take-away, "Leningrad Cowboys Go America" and a few minutes of "Pretty Woman" are all I can recall (or will admit to).

We went our separate ways, I back to my home and work in Canada ( I cried all the way home), and Mr. Scot on to his tour of duty and back to the arms of his Spanish girlfriend (I found that out later).

Still, I can't fault him - we had a chemistry that couldn't be denied and we had a once-in-a-lifetime spree. 

I wish him well, wherever he may be. 








In the lowp




Mr. Scot



Adding a rock to the cairn.



Visit the Sepia Saturday blog where you will find admirable takes on the following image, selected by myself, but which in no way made it easy for me.








35 comments:

  1. Wow! That should be the beginning of a novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should, shouldn't it. Doubt it ever will be though.

      Delete
  2. You must have been hot blooded as you never mentioned how cold water in Scotland can be!
    I was at University at St Andrews but sufered some of those springs and pools on geology field trips (50+ years ago.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, you must have forgotten THIS post: http://acadianeire.blogspot.ca/2010/11/sepia-saturday-50-full-moons-over.html

      I am hardier than I look!

      Mr. Scot also went to St. Andrews!

      Kat

      Delete
  3. I thought it WAS the beginning of novel, a real romance and I thought it would end with '"Reader I married him." Still, a good tale and those 'lowp' waters seem just as invigorating as in those in any spa......or was that Mr Scot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nell, he was no Mr. Rochester; he was more of "Paris", although I'm not exactly Helen of Troy!

      Delete
  4. Oh, oh, oh, how exciting :-D We have many "lover's loups" in Scotland. Mr Scot looks like he was having a great time in the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was—we both were. Unfortunately, there was no one else there to capture the two of us in it. What am I saying?! Good thing there was not!

      Delete
  5. The Scottish accent would have gotten to me also! Sounds like a fun and a memorable trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indelibly registered in my mind, although Mr. Dane has long since usurped the memory and I have no "buyer's remorse".

      Ha ha.

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a romantic story, and all along the way I was waiting to read you became Mrs. Scot. He is a handsome man absolutely and one that surely must still linger every now and then in your mind. I think many of women have that one once upon a time memory that just keeps us so alive! Nice post Kat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I'd love to hear YOUR story!

      Delete
  7. I am with Nell. I expected the phrase "and we lived happily ever after"... Maybe the two of you should have visited Gretna Green?
    PS Your link on the SS-site results in a non existing page. I got here via a detour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we didn't Peter, otherwise I'd never have met the wonderful man who is my husband (just 2 years later).

      I believe I corrected the link.

      Delete
  8. How fun! Thanks for sharing this fun story with us, Kat. I loved it. You are a great writer.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Kathy. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  9. We never know what time and place might bring our way. Enjoyed your story- but surely not as much as you enjoyed living it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed like a dream and it flew by in an instant. I enjoyed every second of it, mind you.

      Delete
  10. Be still my heart. It's still palpitating after reading your romantic post. I also thought the ending might be different.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never occurred to me how outsiders would view this. Interesting how everyone thought it would end in our getting hitched.

      Delete
  11. Oh my that is quite a story, worthy of a movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had the ambition, I would write a screenplay, fly to Hollywood and pitch it to become big-screen success and make me loads of money.

      NAH!

      Delete
  12. We don't often get a "Modern Romance" story on Sepia Saturday. I didn't know the spa waters of Scotland were so invigorating,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are, Mike,indeed they are!

      Delete
  13. WOW -- a real life chick flick! And just think -- this story works for Sepia #151 too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing Wendy, because I am the least likely person to watch a chick flick. Give me an action movie or a thriller any day!

      How does it work for #151?

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just thinking of the Scottish boggy peat in the first photo but it was a much more refreshing dip with Mr Scot. What great memories you have and a romantic story for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very refreshing, that's for sure! Lots of good memories.

      Delete
  16. Nice and secluded!!
    Nowadays, you'd be likely to end up on Youtube, or worse...
    At least you know now,
    it was NOT "only in your head"...
    Good for you!!
    ;)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, even YouTube would have a tough time getting up that hill, TB. I think I'd still be safe.

      Delete
  17. Interesting story. I am wondering whether you have ever searched for him on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it would do much good, Postcardy; he has very common given and surnames. Not to mention, he could be anywhere in the world!

      Delete
  18. What a perfectly unique and intriguing post for the theme...are you ever in contact with him today! Oh, I see Postcardy has asked what I would, or how about our Facebook? I noticed your comment on another Sepia about Elementary--which I watch most weeks..I need to get my hefty complete works of Sherlock down off the shelf and reread. It's a different series with shades of the Mentalist but so fast...and I am glad you fixed the link because I certainly was perplexed by the first link.

    ReplyDelete