November 29, 2012

Sepia Saturday #154: Bridging the Gap

My grandparents and their two sons, Guy Jr. on left, and Jimmy on right. Taken in the late 1950s (at the time of my parents' wedding).
Okay, so I'm cheating a little bit, but things are getting busy around here. Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat, and all that!

I've recently created a Facebook Page dedicated to my genealogical research and happily, I have at long last found the cd that has allowed me to connect my scanner to my desktop computer. Now, rather than working with a painfully  excruciatingly slow laptop, and then sending my photos to an e-mail to be extracted and filed (what a pain THAT is!) I can scan directly to my main computer. Hooray!
I've been spending the bulk of this day doing just that! I've been loading photos to the Facebook page to share them with family and friends.  I'm hopeful that someone may one day see a photo and have some information for me that I don't already have.

For Sepia Saturday #154, I had in mind originally, to use an image with my aunt on a dock with a sign for a private ferry in the background, but then I saw this picture and couldn't resist a little pun.

These are my grandparents, Guy Wheelock Harris and Katie Harris, and my uncles, Guy and Jimmy.  I am pretty sure they must be playing Bridge, as my grandmother used to keep her mind sharp well into her 80s by working out the bridge game in the daily newspaper.  I know that it can't be poker, because it is doubtful that my straight-laced Grandfather would have permitted "gambling" in the house, although I venture to say that Jimmy wouldn't have minded since, even today, he has a regular weekly poker date in his building and HE is now in HIS 80s.

My mom played Bridge in the 1970s with ladies from our church, St. Francis of Assisi, and I can remember those card tables laid out in the living room with bowls of nuts and candies to satisfy the taste buds of preoccupied minds. (It's ALWAYS the food that sticks in my mind.)

Bridge has always mystified me with its strange terms like, "rubber" and "dummy". As a kid, I thought that was pretty funny, actually.  I was a fan of cards; as a toddler, my parents bought me a game of "Old Maid", but that was rather unsuccessful since every time I got the card with the "old maid", I would cry.  (She was scary!)  With the family, we would occasionally play, "Whist", which I believe is a little bit like Bridge, and I quite enjoyed that.  I remember my dad had a paperback edition of "Hoyles Rules of Games" which I perused often for new ways to entertain myself.

 When I was a kid, my girl-friend Jane and I could play "Go Fish" "War" and eventually, "Crazy Eights" 'til the cows came home!  When boys came into the picture, cards rather fell by the wayside, although I did play a bit of Euchre in high school.

Now, as a middle-aged adult, I find myself going back to playing cards.  I am determined to keep my brain active and lucid as long as I possibly can.  I have a very obsessive nature and when I latch on to something, I can do it to the exclusion of everything else. I know what you're thinking: Me? Obsessive? Hard to believe right? Okay, you can stop laughing now.

My latest card addiction is an online game of Hearts.  I have an app on my iPod and on my newest device, a fabulous, white-rimmed iPad.  I started out as a rather weak player, but now I'm on the "hard" level and whupping those avatars' butts!  It must be in the genes!

I'm still curious about Bridge.  If I can get my husband enthused, I'd really like to learn and play it.  Anyone interested in a few online rubbers?


To see what bridges others are crossing, click this image and visit the Sepia Saturday blog:


43 comments:

  1. Bridge always seemed too hard to learn for me. Now I am addicted to playing FreeCell on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if that's the case, then Bridge is not going to be a good match for me! I can't seem to get the hang of FreeCell.

      Delete
  2. Oh! I remember playing the card game "War" as a kid too!

    And "Whist?" I'm a fan of Jane Austen and that genre of books and movies. I seem to remember a Whist table being set up a time or two in those books and/or movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "War" was endless, wasn't it? Oh yes! I think they definitely played a few rounds of "Whist" in many of the Austen scenarios. I think Mr. Darcy's sisters may have been players. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting bridge to the theme. Ugh! I remember when packing consisted of clothing and a single deck of cards. No iPhone, iPad, netbook, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, Liz, but I still love the feel of a deck of cards in my hands. Not that I'm a card shark or anything; far from it!

      A deck of cards versus an online game is like the difference between a book and an e-reader; just no comparison, is there?

      I actually carry cards in purse. I need to be occupied all the time.

      Delete
  5. I remember whist tournaments when I was in high school. This was a nice walk down memory lane. You've got me curious about the Hearts app!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Helen! It is a great app! Look for HEARTS Free (it is by a company called OPTIME - just ignore the advertising at the bottom).

      Delete
  6. As kids it was Fish, War, Jacks, Rummy, Solitaire, Double Solitaire, and Spit. I learned to play Bridge with my parents who were both very good at it. My husband and I were in a little Bridge group with 3 other couples until one of the men died. Our group fell apart then. I sure do miss it. Maybe I miss the social aspect more than the game itself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grandmother looks very serious about her game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Kristin; I don't think she liked to have her concentration interrupted by the photographer. If I know my dad, he was probably the one who took it!

      Delete
  8. I played a liitle bit of Bridge at university but didn't really take to it. I thought the game in your photo must be serious as the pipe smoker has loosened his tie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bob, that's my grandfather, and I think you are correct, it does seem to be a serious game. I've inherited that slightly competitive spirit when it comes to games.

      Delete
  9. Kat you are so funny! I love it! I couldn't wait to see what you had posted, I saw your comment that you cheated and it sure got me curious! Bridge- not really for me, but I am involved in a few (possibly too many) scrabble games on FB lately! Yikes! I think that photo of the family sitting around the table- the men all serious and I can even smell a bit of cherry flavor from the pipe! Hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Karen! I tried the FB Scrabble, but got bored with waiting around for other people to make their moves.

      I don't know if it was cherry tobacco - more woodsy I think.

      Delete
  10. Oops I forgot to mention too, it's so cool when we bridge the gap between and within our themes, like you did with BRIDGE! Very awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job, Kat, on the bridge pun! As for me, I was never a bridge kind of gal, but can still play a mean cribbage hand...I remember War, Crazy Eights, Go Fish and serious Canasta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried, "Canasta". The name always intrigued me though.

      Delete
  12. I am not a card player myself but there are a few fanatics in the family. One of them is my mum, she is still playing Bridge at 95!
    BTW Rubber bridge is called robber bridge here. I wonder why :)
    Also, do I see the contour of a rowing boat in the painting on the left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess, Peter, is that it WAS originally "Robber Bridge" and got corrupted to "rubber".
      Good eye! I think that IS a row-boat. Double points for me then!
      ha ha

      Delete
  13. A fun read about a clever twist on the prompt demonstrating that your mind is working very well. I tried to learn Bridge in college but did not pay attention preferring to kibbutz. Last year a local woman who is a bridge addict, tried to teach some of us, but yikes, it was a disaster. She merely sat us down with no instruction and dealt the cards...immersion education, I suppose. I loved Old Maid as a child, and always tried to get the ugly lady out of my hand! Haven't played cards in more than 30 years...other than on the computer///

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be cool if we could play people we know online. (You probably can, I just wouldn't know where to start!)

      Sounds like the "Bridge lady" didn't have a clue. I don't think immersion works with cards - you have to bring SOMEthing to the table. Ha ha.

      Delete
  14. Oh clever 'twist' on the theme Kat. I have to say I'm not a very good card player and could just about manage Happy Families. As for Bridge that totally passed me by. I'm sure I missed some social climbing opportunities there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody keeps talking about "Happy Families", but I don't know that one. How do you play it?

      Oh yes! "Bridge" was the game to move one up the scale, I think. Maybe that's why I've never been keen enough to pursue it.

      Delete
  15. Kat, I laughed when I read about the old maid; I play a similar game with my granddaughter called "Black Peter" naturally I had to be it all the time when she was 4 or 5 now with 9 she feels sorry for me and tries to get it herself! I have never played Bridge, but a game called JASS which is the national card game in Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you actually have a "national" card game. I wonder what Canada's would be?

      "Black Peter" sounds intriguing; does it involve a Jack of Spades by any chance?

      Delete
  16. My parents played bridge. Had many bridge parties with the neighbors. Card tables, martinis, nut cups. But I never learned. I'm pretty good at cards, but just could never quite get the hang of bridge.
    Very clever post. Enjoyed it.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I mixed martinis with "Bridge", I doubt I'd make a very good partner! I'd best stick to milk in that event.

      Delete
  17. Oh Kat I loved your cleaver pun. We never played Bridge but played Canasta, which took two deck of cards. My grandmother was the organizer and boy we would play all day on Sunday, after Mass, of course. I love to play Poker too. Especially with a bunch of men who think women do not know such things. WooHoo.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! QMM, you had me worried you were playing Canasta in the pews! (*kidding)

      Ever seen, "A Big Hand For the Little Lady" with JoAnne Woodward and Henry Fonda? I think you'd love it!

      Delete
  18. A fun creative spin on the theme, Kat and a neat photo. I remember when a card table was an important household furnishing. The music on the right at the piano is "Early Autumn" a Woody Herman/Johnny Mercer song from 1949. I can't make out the other one but the face on the cover looks familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We had a card table in our house for years! Come to think of it, everyone I knew had one too.

      Thanks for spotting that on the sheet music, Mike. I was wondering about it. I'm going to enlarge the photo a bit and see if I can work out the other one.

      Delete
  19. I've never played bridge ... one of those things like golf that everyone else I know seems to play ... but not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on GOLF, DB! Horror stories abound.

      Delete
  20. I love the pun and I love the post. As for bridge (the game), I have only ever played once and that was enough. I received dreadful looks from all the other players for the unintelligable cards I was playing. I think I will stick to Happy Families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my share of those dirty looks too, Alan. I don't seem to have cottoned on too quickly with the rules of the games. I surprise myself now with how good I am at hearts, but then I've had a few "a-ha" moments along the way.

      Delete
  21. I love your pun but would be of no help as I know nothing about card games. Good luck getting husbie excited over this.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he likes card games, but it's tearing him away from British soccer on t.v. that's the problem!

      Delete
    2. Ah!! I could hardly blame him for that and would most likely sit next to him to watch it too!!!!
      :D~
      HUGZ

      Delete
    3. Actually, TB, we both play the Fantasy League game. I'm a Magpies fan, but the fantasy stuff ruins your allegiance to only one team.

      Delete
  22. Kat, you are a great writer, if I haven't told you that before! I loved this post. When I was young, I played cards of all sorts with my next door neighbor, Judy; we knew so many games and card tricks. Now I don't really play anymore; maybe someday.

    I enjoyed learning about your family, and good for you to have any easy scanning system. My new computer changed the rules on scanning and it is driving me nuts.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the compliment, Kathy. I sincerely appreciate it.

      My next door neighbour was my best friend, and we played every card and board game we could get our hands on. When we weren't doing that, we were out on the street playing "tag" and "spud" and other street games. Busy all the time, what?

      Delete