April 21, 2013

Sepia Saturday #173: "Odsbodlikins"*

So you want "odd" do you?  You can't get much odder than this!



My father was a bit of an "odd duck". No, really, he was.  How many other dads would put their four-year old daughter in the mask of a cigar-chomping hobo, stick a golf club in her hand, and make her pose all whilst dressed in her pajamas and bright red fluffy slippers?  I ask you?!

If you don't think that's odd enough, then allow me to share a little anecdote that concerns my father and this very mask.

We were living in an apartment building in Toronto at the time of this photo, and my father thought it would be quite hilarious to put on this mask himself, ring the bell of one of the nice lady-neighbours on the next floor, crouch down (for even greater effect) and then spring out at her when she answered her door. He nearly gave the poor woman a heart-attack. My dad laughed until he cried.

As I say, my dad was a bit odd.  And perhaps a bit insensitive, but let me tell you, this became one of the legendary "Davison stories" that was dredged up for captive audiences (and immediate family) for years to come.

Some day I'll explain about the "giant cabbages of Knob Hill Farms".

Is it any wonder I'm a bit "odd" myself?

*odsbodlikins was first used by Henry Fielding in "Don Quixote in England", in 1734.


For more "odds and ends", please visit the Sepia Saturday blog, by clicking the image below. Thank you!


18 comments:

  1. Sounds as though there was never a dull moment at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those of us with vintage memories, a hobo is pretty scary. But compared to the aliens and zombies that wander our streets today, I'd take a hobo in red slippers anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Mike. I'm with you though; give me the hobo ANY day!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Even weirder, Brett, I dressed up as a hobo, complete with burnt-cork beard for Hallowe'en one year. I think I was about 10. Ah, the memories!

      Delete
    2. P.S. My husband says he wishes I had a photo of THAT!

      Delete
  4. I have a feeling that most of us bloggers come from "odd families". It is, of course, what makes us interesting. From one oddity to another - greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, fellow-oddball!

      Yes, I suspect we bloggers are pretty much a bunch of weirdos and misfits; thankfully, we have a platform to share this with the world!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a fun time to me! Thank goodness for those parents that also taught such odd goings on in our lives. I bet that lady was very careful for a long while opening her door again after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Karen. I think that lady was probably very happy when our family upped sticks and moved to the 'burbs!

      Delete
  6. Ha ! I Always Thought Golf Boring......Your Dad Has Shown Me The error Of My Ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Tony. It is still bo-ring! You were right the first time, BUT a good mask can certainly liven it up!

      Delete
  7. That photo of you was hilarious. I wish I had known your dad. What a character he must have been.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty funny, isn't it, Nancy? Oh, he was definitely a character!

      Delete
  8. Your Dad certainly knew what he was doing.......
    http://goo.gl/uaESS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly, Nigel! For all the carry on, he was most determined that I get the grip and the stance correct.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! This is so funny, Kat. Your Dad sounds like a character. Thanks so much for stopping by to see me. I'll be back to S.S. soon.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete