September 9, 2013

I am born. (The Book of Me, Written by You: Prompt TWO)



In June, 1961, at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in the presence of my mom and the doctor, (I assume my dad was not in the room, because that's how they did it in those days, didn't they?) I was born. As you can see, I entered this earth, quite early in the morning. (I still like to rise early.) As you can also see by the "36 weeks", I was a "preemie", arriving a month earlier than I was supposed to. (I still like to get where I'm going early too.)

 Mom tells me I didn't stay at this weight of 5 lbs. 2 ozs., but dropped down to 4 lbs, 8 ozs.  I was in an incubator for four weeks, but I'm a fighter and I made it!

As a result of being an early baby, I was never a very big child.  I was slight, short, knock-kneed and uncoordinated. Thankfully, I outgrew all of that - eventually, but not without some bumps and bruises along the way.


Incidentally,  on the back of this card there is a funny advertisement that reads:

Ask your doctor about .....
Borden's Evaporated Milk or Borden's
Nutrilac Partly Skimmed Milk for
your baby's formula.

Never miss an opportunity to get new customers, right?

That "low forceps" on this card gives me the willies, and I'm not sure what that "Para T" on the baby's face indicates. Any ideas?

Because I was under observation in hospital for the first few weeks of my life, there are no "first day" photos. The earliest photos of me were taken the day I was baptized at St. Pius X church.  I believe that was in late July.

Here is a photo that I love.  It is mom holding me against her shoulder as I take a little snooze. I still like to sleep on my stomach sometimes, just like this. Judging by the fullness of my hair, I'd guess that I had plenty on the day that I was born.  My eyes are hazel green with orange flecks. Are babies born with the designated eye colour, or are they like kittens with blue eyes to start?  I've never had an infant, so I honestly don't know.



Looking at this picture fills me with great emotion.  How do we go from being so totally dependent on our moms and dads, to being the ones depended upon?  It is a long road with many ups and downs. I'm not sure either of us ever quite knows exactly what we are doing, but we give it our best shot, don't we?

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure that's not a I? It could stand for Para 1, meaning the first pregnancy and birth for your mother.

    All babies eyes are not blue at birth. I don't believe that even all European ancestored baby's eyes are blue at birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that's it, Kristin. I was the first! Thanks for clearing that up about the eyes. I was really wondering about it.

      Delete