September 6, 2013

Sepia Saturday #193: Captain Hook!

We're technically "on holiday" this week, so this will have to be quick:

 Here are some of my dad's siblings on their own holiday. They would have travelled south from Belfast city where at one time all twelve kids and their mother and father lived in an end row house on Rodney Drive, near the Falls Road. Imagine how excited they must have been come summer to get to visit their grandparents in the country. This boat is likely a "currach" at Polland's quarry in the Mountains of Mourne, up from Annalong (if I've got it right - please correct me someone from my clan, if you know).

This photo from my dad's collection.

Captain Hook, at the bow of the boat, ready to ship out!  They'd have a job getting off of those rocks.


This photo provided by Colin Polland


The photo above must have been taken on another day as my great-aunt, Kathleen (one of my namesakes) is not wearing the same clothes and the hair-style is different. Also, I can't place the child from the top photo who has the handkerchief.
Photo by Teresa Polland

Maybe I'm wrong, but these striations in the embankment of the quarry look very much like the lines in the photo above.  After all, calculation that my dad (on the left) was about 9 or 10 at the time, the photo was taken around 1937, so it has been 76 years. Or is that a roof line?  Hard to tell.


The quarry today:

Photo by Teresa Polland


Tragically, we lost the beloved founder of our Facebook family-clan page here, in June of this year when he dove in to rescue a young man who was in distress. Both of them drowned. Colin Polland was just 39. He was my second cousin.

It is a beautiful place tinged with great sadness and will forever recall the memory of a very gentle soul we all respected and admired.



As always, I invite you to join us at Sepia Saturday by simply clicking the image below:



16 comments:

  1. How sad Kat.. so sorry. We forget about the dangers that are around us all the time sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad's a real cutie...and I think it's a roof-line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could write a story (or poem) about what's happening in that first picture. Did she just make lot of noise with that handkerchief?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the loss of your cousin, Colin. I don't know why, but lately I seem to read or hear more and more about people who go in to save someone in distress only to drown with the other person or, worse, drown while the other person somehow makes it to safety on their own. Nonetheless, the urge to rescue is a human trait present in, well, most of us anyway, and almost impossible to resist no matter the possible consequences. Though your family is sad at the loss of a loved one - and especially one so young, I know you must be proud of him for trying to do the right thing at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very sad. Many people seem to drown when trying to rescue others.

    That first photo is a boat full and I'd be leary of the fiendish looking kid with the hook in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin is right --- he does look like an imp with a hook! Lovely pictures --- and even the sadness of Colin's death is stroked with the beauty of the place and his life. Lovely Post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe the little one with the handkerchief was seasick.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dad and the girl in front of the second picture both look happy and impish, while the kids behind them don't look happy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kat, how incredibly sad. This is the second time this week I have read about the Mountains of Mourne. I'd never heard of them before. I just read about them in Colum McCann's Transatlantic. Have you read it? It was my first McCann and lingers with me still. And by the by I think it is a roof too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry that a place of beauty will now have that shadow of tragedy for your family. The photos remind us how much life includes both happiness and sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How crowded is that first boat!?
    A lovely place for such a sad accident, tragic for all those involved, too young.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Captain Hook - but where is Peter Pan? I'm remember Ruby Murray singing 'The Mountains of Mourne' and the line where the mountains sweep down to the sea.
    So sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin, a brave man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so very sad. Sorry for your loss.

    I was thinking the first photo was perhaps a children's version of Moby Dick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picture to start this post.
    Pity your cousin's brave gesture ended so badly.
    Not everything in life has an Hollywood-ending...
    :(~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful place with such sad memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A common theme this week is "how many people can you cram into one little boat?"

    I join the others in expressing my condolence in the loss of your cousin.

    ReplyDelete